Wednesday, July 9, 2014

WOYWW #266

I have been working alot since last week so no time to unpack any boxes in my craft room.
However I had a funny experience on Monday at work. It's funny now but wasn't at the time. I got locked in the disabled toilet at the airport at work. The reason why I was in the disabled toilet was because the ladies toilet had no toilet paper in it. I went to get out and the door would not open. The lock mechanism had come loose when I locked it.

So panic stations set in, I looked at the manhole up above and knew I could not reach it to be able to crawl out, so what do I do next.

Luckily the door gap at the bottom had a 3cm gap. I could not call out as there was a second door outside that was really thick and no one would have heard me. So I wrote on the toilet paper and shoved it under the door. It was very lucky that I had a pen with me.
The paper bunched up and went nowhere, so I threaded the pen to the end of the toilet paper and threw as far as I could and held onto the other end so it would stretch out and be readable.
I then sat down and crossed my legs and proceeded to meditate to calm my nerves down as I could feel my heart racing from anxiety and not knowing if anyone would come around for awhile. 
About 30 mins later I heard a male voice ask "Are you still in there?" I could barely hear him because by then I was deep in meditation and was really relaxed. He asked me who he could call so I told him to go to the closest Office outside and let them know I was in here. A few minutes later I heard a co-worker call my name and a fit of giggles ensued. To which I replied "stop laughing, its so embarrassing". They were laughing at all the toilet paper I had shoved out from under the door. I thought that if I made it look very messy someone would take notice. 

From now on my mobile phone stays in my pocket. 

Hopefully next week I would have made a lot more progress with my unpacking.

EDITED: 12July, due to a few comments about me using the disabled toilet, I must add that I was in the staff toilets, and we don't have any disabled workers so the disabled toilets are used by either male of female if the normal toilets are used as there is only 1 male and 1 female toilet to cater for about 100 staff. This day there was no toilet paper in the ladies toilet so its the only time I use the disabled one. 

Run on over to Julia's Stamping Ground to see what other crafters are up to.

For those of you who are following Flat Susan that Neet started, 
you can read all about her visit to me HERE



14 comments :

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Bridget, as you say, funny to tell, but not funny at the time, I am sure. Thanks for the giggle.
Blessings
Maxine

sandra de said...

Opps that is quite a funny tail and good to hear you were rescued. But how terrible if you had been disabled. I hope it was fixed urgently. Hope you have a great rest of the week.
Sandra de @55

Anonymous said...

LOL! That is (now) hysterical, but I bet at the time, no so much. I never would have had my phone, a pen, anything, to hand. And meditating? I would have just shrieked like a girly girl until someone heard me :) Hey, don't disabled toilets have to have that emergency cord for help? That might have done the trick, but given the state of the lock it probably wan't working either!


Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (1)

J said...

Oh I wouldnt have found it funny at the time either as I hate using strange toilets, my DH is used to standing outside loos so I dont have to lock myself in.
Brilliant idea with the loo roll, I'll remember that trick just incase

Jan S No 58

Unknown said...

What a great story. Lucky you're a creative sort and could think up the toilet paper rescue plan. And had the wherewithall to take a photo.
Brilliant!
Have a fun and uneventful week!
Gillian #49

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, bless your heart! It's such a good thing you kept calm and figured out your own rescue. You know, I always take my phone in my pocket when I walk down my office hall to the restroom--now I know it's a really good idea. And I'm glad you are okay and it's a funny story now! Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh #57

505whimsygirl said...

Haaa. Poor You. At least it was the handicap stall so it was a bit larger! Good thing you had a pen with you.

I'm not participating in WOYWW this week but wanted to stop by and say hello!

Hugs,
Kay

PS Do you still have Flat Susan and did you do a post? I'm so behind in following her.

Sharon Madson said...

Oh, my goodness! What a story! Just recently, I was almost locked in one! But finally got it to let me out. But someone had heard me and was laughing and said "were you locked in?" Panic does set in pretty quickly! Glad everything worked out. How resourceful you are! :) #78

Neet said...

Oh dear, reminds me of the song "oh dear what can the matter be, three old (young in your case and only one of you) ladies locked in a lavatory. They were there Monday to Saturday and nobody knew they were there'
Sorry Bridget, not funny at the time, I would have been panic stricken, but what a laugh now I guess.
Hugs, Neet x 6

Eliza said...

That is bloody hilarious Bridget I can just imagine you sitting in the loo and meditating, you now know not to use the disabled toilet don't you. Could you have imagined what would of happened if a disabled person was in there. Make sure you take you phone with you everywhere woman. This has to be the best post ever LOL

Happy WOYWW
Hugs Eliza & Yoda 51

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

It's not much fun getting locked in places but at least you could go if you needed to Lol! You know what I mean!
Have a great week and happy crafting, Angela x #41

dottielottie said...

Oh Bridget, I too had a chuckle at your predicament, but I can tell you if it had happened to me I would have been just as distressed as you.
Hope the rest of your week progresses more smoothly
Hugs Lottie #85

Robyn Oliver said...

Glad you're safely out of the toilet Bridget, what an adventure. Hope they check all the doors now that wouldn't be fun and some wouldn't have handled it as well as you did...love the toilet paper under the door, bit like a message in a bottle, shame Flat Susan wasn't with you that would be something to write home about. Cheers and keep safe RobynO#28

Shoshi said...

ROFL Bridget - that'll learn-ya to use the disabled toilet when you're not disabled lol!! Here in the UK every disabled toilet is fitted with a red alarm cord that you can pull if you get in difficulties, and someone will come. I love it that you photographed all the bits of loo paper with your cries for help on them! Too funny.

It reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDZzl9AyXeg

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #31